Earlier this month Jamie Oastler started pitching around the idea of doing a Ottawa Geek BBQ. This morning he followed through and sent me the following info on the BBQ event of the coming spring season…
Now that Mother Nature’s last gasp of winter has passed us by – I do believe that it is time we spring forward and start a new social tradition. How does "The 1st Annual Ottawa Web Geek BBQ" sound? The hope is to bring together all those Ottawa freelancers, twitterers, social mediaists and entrepreneurs who have been hermiting away the winter in a social setting. An event for significant others, families and friends to put a face to all the names we tweet about.
Are you interested? There are two core things we need to make this happen:
- What date works best for most people? Vote at: http://www.polldaddy.com/p/1533558/
- Someone having a big backyard that they would like to volunteer to host this event?
There are lots of other little things that enthusiastic individuals could orchestrate if they wanted to:
- Any form of kid-friendly outdoor activities
- Decide if a BYOB(ooze) / BYOM(eat) or potluck style is preferable
- A mini-keg or two if sufficient people are interested in sharing the cost. (From my university daze, that last option meant $5 – $10 / person for drinks all day. )
Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below or tweet about it with the hashtag #OttawaGeekBBQ or a reply tweet to me (@idealien). I first floated this idea a few weeks ago on Twitter and more than a few people felt the chance to hoist a pint and have a barbie was the right thing to do, including of @snookca, @thecodefactory, @scottica, @mste, @1G33K and @marquiscote – Do you?